Wednesday, June 04, 2008

This is My Future Food

Welcome to my garden.









Please ignore the weeds and the untidy edges. It is the first garden I've ever planted . . . I have about 20 gardening books . . . it looks as if I should read less and weed more!

So far I have planted spinach, tomatoes (grape, beefsteak, early girl) bell peppers (several varieties), zucchini, snow peas, carrots, green onions, corn, strawberries, and sweet potatoes. I still have more things to transplant and plant. I also have some container plants, including several herbs. And I'm going to plant a big patch of pumpkins and ornamental corn (in a separate location). I'm a little behind. The weather has been uncooperative and the books don't really address how to fix the weather.

Despite the weeds and the planted-too-late plants, I'm pretty pleased with my garden.





I was beyond excited when I discovered this pepper!








Mmm . . . spinach . . . do you think this is ready to eat?




So now you know why I haven't been cooking and blogging as much . . . I've been reading and weeding. That and I decided to eat low carb for a week or two, which has completely zapped all motivation to cook. Don't worry, the low carb thing won't last long. First, I don't think it is sustainable for me . . . and second, I'm going to the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen (wooooohooooo!) the middle of this month! No way am I going to obsess over avoiding carbs at the Food & Wine Classic!

Although I'm not inspired to cook much right now, I bet my trip to Aspen - and garden fresh vegetables - will probably get me back on track!

No comments: