Thursday, April 09, 2009

BB: Chinese Chicken Salad (my pick!)


It was my turn to pick a recipe for Barefoot Bloggers . . . after a quick scan through Barefoot Contessa Parties!, I knew exactly what my pick would be - Chinese Chicken Salad. I'm a fan of good chicken salad (there is a mango curry chicken salad I particularly love) -but I'd never tried a "Chinese" version until this one. I really liked it - but I have a few comments: a) I think it is best when the dressing very lightly coats the ingredients - too much dressing = too much of a peanut butter taste - I didn't use all the dressing; b) adding more red pepper strips can never be a bad thing; and c) based on comments, some people think there is too much kosher salt in the recipe - I don't think it's too salty (but then again, I like salt). To find out what the other Barefoot Bloggers thought, check out their posts here.

Chinese Chicken Salad
4 split chicken breasts (bone-in, skin-on)
olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound asparagus, ends removed, and cut in thirds diagonally
1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded
2 scallions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted

For the dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I reduced . . . probably used 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup good apple cider vinegar (get Bragg's, Spectrum, or something locally produced - there is huge difference!)
3 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Tamari)
1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil (I used toasted sesame oil)
1/2 tablespoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub with the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces.

Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain. Cut the peppers in strips about the size of the asparagus pieces. Combine the cut chicken, asparagus, and peppers in a large bowl.

Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Add the scallions and sesame seeds and season to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.

24 comments:

Aggie said...

I thought the salad was awesome! I agree about the dressing...

Great pic!! Thank you! Your's looks wonderful!

Kanella said...

Thanks for the choice and I agree the more red pepper the better!

Michele said...

Thanks for choosing the recipe! I thought it was great, and I made it with tofu.

Yours looks delicious!

Heather said...

red pepper strips are amazing! the chicken looks yummy :)

spike. said...

loved this pick, it was the perfect lunch all week. Thanks!

Cook the Books said...

Great recipe Mckenzie! I agree that the dressing was a little too peanut buttery, but that can easily be altered for next time. I am looking forward to giving this recipe another go in the future.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this week's pick! I loved the peanut butter taste but egads it was way too salty... and I like salt! LOL

Cathy said...

Great pick! We all really enjoyed this salad. I agree that there was a little too much dressing; next time, I'll probably serve the dressing on the side. Yours looks great!

chocolatechic said...

Thanks for such a great pick.

I didn't think I'd like it, but I did.

Jamie said...

I am glad you enjoyed your pick! It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great pick! I really enjoyed this and probably would never have tried it... you know, since Ina isn't exactly Asian.

~Cat

Tammy said...

Beautiful job and great recipe choice! I would have never tried it unless you picked it, and I loved it.

Anonymous said...

This was a great recipe pick!! So good!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Great pick. I actually used bottled dressing from Trader Joe's but it came out real good.

EmmyJMommy said...

Thanks for a TERRIFIC pick! It was great!!!

karen said...

thanks for a great pick this week. i wasn't sure i'd like it but we LOVED it.

Kim said...

Great choice! My husband and I both enjoyed the dish, although I thought it was heavy on the dressing as well.

Penny said...

Thanks for picking such a good one. I cut back on salt and peanut butter and it was awesome. My husband went back for seconds. Will do again.

Anonymous said...

This was a fun choice, and very surprisingly delicious!

Todd M said...

Great pick. One of my favorite BB picks so far.

Suzie said...

This was a great choice - I am just looking at all the blogs now and no one has had anything bad to say! Well done you.

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

Wowza, this looks DELISH! I love Chinese Chicken Salad, thanks for sharing!

Heather S-G said...

This was a great pick! I loved it so much :P

Tonya @ What's On My Plate said...

an excellent choice! this turned out fantastic.