Saturday, June 27, 2009

Garden Burger


I'm not sure if this was the best burger I have ever had . . . but it was definitely the best burger I have ever had at home! The texture of the burger was perfect (Ken did a great job grilling), and the toppings were full of flavor. It's that time of year where I'm constantly looking for ways to incorporate zucchini into our meals, so I decided to put some on top of my burger. I also had some really great Thai Basil Jack cheese from the farmers market . . . zucchini, basil . . . one topping led to another and I ended up with a garden burger.

Instructions:

Burger - 1 pkg. of ground beef (from our freezer; about 1 lb.) plus 1 egg, approximately 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well and shape into patties. Make an indention in the center so patty is thicker on edges than in the middle (kind of like a doughnut but don't actually make a hole). Grill. Add cheese during last 1-2 minutes of grilling.

While burgers are grilling, saute zucchini in olive oil with salt and pepper. Remove zucchini to plate, add more olive oil and saute Swiss chard and finely chopped garlic in same skillet (1 to 2 minutes, just enough to wilt Swiss chard). Slice red pepper and cucumber. Toast bun.

To assemble: Bun - top with wilted Swiss chard - place burger on top of Swiss chard - place zucchini on top of burger - top with red pepper and cucumbers.

I considered adding guacamole, but ultimately decided against it because I was afraid its flavor would be overwhelming. Mayonnaise with fresh herbs might be a good addition - although this burger really did not need any extra moisture. I think I'm ready for a burger throwdown with Bobby Flay!

No comments: