Thursday, May 01, 2008

Pork and Green Bean Stir Fry

I should call this recipe "Happy Stir Fry," because, well, it made me very happy!

I got home from the grocery store just a few minutes short of 8:00 p.m. I was already kind of in a rush to get dinner ready because I don't like to eat too late . . . so I enlisted help from Ken. He rinsed and cut the green beans; while he was helping he said "Isn't it Grey's Anatomy on?" This doubled - no, make that quadrupled - my hurry! In 30 minutes, I prepped, cooked, served, and photographed this dish. Everyday Food had the prep time listed as 45 minutes. Apparently their test kitchen staff wasn't missing the first half of Grey's Anatomy!

As soon as the picture was taken, I ran downstairs, plate in hand, to watch the second half of Grey's. Ken, who was on the phone, stayed upstairs. As soon as I took a bite of this "happy" pork and green bean stir fry, I knew the recipe was a keeper. It had great flavor and just a touch of heat. Plus it has lots of vegetables and lean meat, and it was FAST! However, I worried that Ken might not feel the same way. He's not a very experimental eater. I thought he might balk at the vegetables, the sesame, the ginger, and/or the heat from the red pepper flakes. During a commercial break, I checked on him - still on the phone, but getting a second serving from the skillet! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am to find a healthy, fast new recipe we both love.Pork and Green Bean Stir Fry

1 lb. pork chops or tenderloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4 inch slices
coarse salt
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
3 tsp. oil (olive or vegetable)
1 tbsp. toasted sesame ginger seasoning (I used Victoria Taylor's)
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 lb. green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced into thin strips
1/3 cup dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
cooked brown rice, for serving

  1. Season strips of pork with salt. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and sesame ginger seasoning; set aside.
  2. Heat 1 tsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add red pepper flakes and pork. Cook, stirring, until pork is no longer pink and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer pork to a plate.
  3. Meanwhile, cook green beans 2 1/2 minutes in a Zip n' Steam bag in the microwave.
  4. Add remaining oil to the skillet, then add green beans, red pepper strips, and 2 tbsp. water. Cook until peppers are tender, 2-4 minutes.
  5. Add pork, peanuts, and sauce mixture to the skillet; cook until pork is coated with sauce, 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately over brown or white rice.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food.

1 comment:

Sam Jo said...

This loks really good! You need to get a dvr so you dont have to miss the first half of Grays!