Thursday, April 03, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu Stuffed Baguette

Sounds fancy, doesn't it? Well, don't worry - it isn't! In fact, it's not even fancy enough for me to try to make a precise recipe for you to follow. I'll give you a guideline to go from, in case some of these same ingredients are lingering in your refrigerator. That is how I came up with this idea - I had some shaved ham, cheese, pizza dough, and a chicken breast that I needed to use. I didn't want to make an actual pizza . . . and I was thinking ham and cheese rolls (inspired by On The Rise bakery at the Lake of the Ozarks) sounded good . . . but I also had a chicken breast . . . and this is the result:
(sorry about the parchment paper)

If you want to make a (clean-out-the-fridge) Chicken Cordon Bleu Stuffed Baguette of your own, here are the guidelines:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Start with 1 portion of fresh pizza, bread, or roll dough (either homemade or purchased); roll/stretch dough into a rectangle shape on a cookie sheet.

Next, smear dough with 1-2 tbsp. butter (this is optional and probably not necessary if you use full-fat cheese and/or a lot of cheese).

Add cheese - I used 3 deli slices of swiss and about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella (but feel free to use your choice - both in variety and quantity).

Arrange shaved ham in a single layer on top of cheese.

Finally, add shredded pieces of cooked chicken breast* on top of ham.

If you're feeling adventurous, add garlic, herbs or some kind of seasoning.

Roll dough (think rolling cinnamon rolls), starting from the longest side of the rectangle of dough. Press dough together at seams and ends. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand a few moments before slicing.Yum . . . I should clean the fridge more often!

2 comments:

Lace Image said...

Great recipe! I have a guy that LOVES Cordon Bleu!

Sheena Perron said...

I just made this tonight! It was really yummy. I tried adding a Chicken Cordon Bleu sauce, but I didn't really like the sauce (I had never tried it). If it's ok I would like to post this on my blog(I will post your blog address). Thanks again for the delicious recipe.

Sheena
http://3sisterssharingideas.blogspot.com