Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Muffin Makeover

Since I've been blogging - and reading other cooking blogs - I've come across hundreds (thousands?) of great recipes. I've flagged a lot, tried many, and found a few that have become favorites. The Banana Crumb muffins from Annie's Eats quickly made it on to our "favorites" list. However, blogging about food can be hard on your diet plan . . . so I've been working on making some of our favorites a little more healthful. I made a few easy ingredient swaps and eliminated the original crumb topping; I haven't calculated the nutritional difference, but surely the changes helped a little bit! Here's my version:

Banana Muffins

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter, melted
4 tbsp. plain yogurt (I used low-fat)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, cinnamon, yogurt and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

P.S. I loved this "madeover" version of banana muffins . . . but I forgot to ask Ken what he thought of them. When I got home from work yesterday evening, I realized I didn't need to ask . . . the evidence was in the empty muffin papers . . .

No comments: