- Crudites with green goddess dip
- Dungeness crab and heirloom bean brandade
- Roast heritage turkey with bacon-herb butter and cider gravy
- Bacon, apple, and fennel stuffing
- Wild rice with butternut squash, leeks, and corn
- Shaved brussels sprouts with currants and chestnuts
- Garnet yams with maple syrup and maple-sugar streusel
- Cranberry and tart-cherry compote
- Pear cobbler with dried blueberries and stone-ground corn biscuits
- Caramelized apple and pecan pie
- Salted roast turkey with herbs and shallot dijon gravy
- Salted roast turkey with orange, fall spices, and sherry gravy
- Salted roast turkey with chipotle glaze and caramelized onion gravy
- Herb and onion stuffing
- Sausage stuffing with fennel and roasted squash
- Dried cranberry, apricot, and fig stuffing
- Wild mushroom and spinach stuffing
- Monday: Cranberry relish with grapefruit and mint; cranberry, pomegranate, and meyer lemon relish
- Tuesday: Glazed pearl onions in port with bay leaves
- Wednesday: Citrus-glazed carrots; green beans with pickled onion relish; cauliflower and brussels sprout gratin with pine nut breadcrumb topping; roasted winter squash and parsnips with maple syrup glaze and marcona almonds; creamy corn and chestnut pudding; sweet potato and apple puree; and potato, zucchini, and tomato gratin
- Thursday: Scalloped yukon gold and sweet potato gratin with fresh herbs; yukon gold and fennel puree with rosemary butter
- Pumpkin butterscotch pie
- Pumpkin and brown-sugar creme brulee
- Pumpkin ice cream pie with chocolate-almond bark and toffee sauce
- Pumpkin spice layer cake with caramel and cream cheese frosting
- Pumpkin cheesecake with marshmallow-sour cream topping and gingersnap crust
Bonus: turkey carving guide; keeping food hot; other menu ideas based on the included recipes
Also: Fall fruit and vegetable guide; buttermilk biscuits with green onions, black pepper, and sea salt; pomegranates; and RSVP - readers' favorite restaurant recipes (one of my favorite sections of Bon Appetit).
(No, I'm not a Bon Appetit spokesperson . . . I wish!)
- Early bird turkey (turkey breasts and thighs, not a whole bird)
- Apple and date stuffing
- Green bean casserole
- Golden potato mash
- Spiced pumpkin mousse trifle
- Bonus: 101 Ways to Make Thanksgiving Easier - lots of random tips, some should be common sense . . . but some could be helpful: Clean out your fridge - purge shelves and inner doors of almost-empty jars and bottles and leftover takeout; and [Turkey] size matters - One pound raw weight per person is the rule of thumb, but when in doubt, buy up. Keep in mind larger birds have a higher proportion of dark meat, so if your family loves only white meat, consider an average-size turkey and roast a couple of extra turkey breasts on the side.
- Also: election night parties; several twists on stuffed mushrooms; Italian lessons; Thanksgiving travel ideas; 30-minute meals; and a tear out weekly menu + planner.
- Roasted Turkey with Juniper-Ginger Butter & Pan Gravy
- Rustic Bread Stuffing with Dried Cranberries, Hazelnuts, and Oyster Mushrooms
- Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Shallots
- Maple-Tangerine Cranberry Sauce
- Cauliflower with Brown Butter, Pears, Sage and Hazelnuts
- Green Beans with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette and Parmesan Breadcrumbs
- Sugar and Spice Pumpkin Pie with Brandied Ginger Cream
- Bonus: "The Whys of Pie" - troubleshooting common pie problems
- Also: Testing stockpots; steak au poivre; features on squash, rosemary, and caramel
Like Bon Appetit, a good addition to the food magazine collection.
Whew . . . This wraps up my series of food magazine Thanksgiving menu reviews. Good thing, too, because I'm really, REALLY hungry for turkey now!
See my other Thanksgiving menu reviews here and here.