Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Celebrate with Champagne Cupcakes

We had a family celebration on Sunday, and I had been looking for a reason to try champagne cake. I first had champagne cake at a convention I planned and thought it was the most delicious cake I'd ever tried. Maybe it just seemed so great because I tasted it after dinner - which also happened to be the first time I sat down the entire day. Either way, I've been looking forward to making my own version ever since. When I saw this recipe on The Beantown Baker, I saved it for our Sunday celebration. These cupcakes aren't exactly how I remember the cake, but they are easy to make and very good.

Champagne Cupcakes

2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder1 tsp salt
3/4 cup champagne
6 large egg whites, at room temperature

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
  2. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
  3. In a separate medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  4. Blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with champagne.
  5. In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of the egg whites into the batter until blended, then fold in the remaining egg whites until well blended.
  6. Fill the cupcakes liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan.
  7. Once completely cooled, brush 1 Tbsp of champagne onto the tops of the cupcakes.

Champagne Frosting

3/4 cup vegetable shortening
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp champagne
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

In a large bowl beat the shortening and butter until combined. Add the champagne. Slowly add the confectioners sugar and beat until smooth.
- Recipe from The Beantown Baker, originally from Crazy about Cupcakes

No comments: