Thursday, July 10, 2008

Barefoof Bloggers: Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread

Alternate Title: It is generally a good idea to follow the recipe!

I admit it, my heart wasn't really in it tonight. Jalapenos are a little too spicy for me (but I thought I should at least try including them), and I also wasn't crazy about baking a big batch of cornbread for just the two of us. But I love the Barefoot Bloggers group and I've never had a Barefoot Contessa dish I didn't like, so I baked the jalapeno cheddar cornbread anyway. But it was only a half-hearted effort. And I was in a hurry to get it baked and posted.

My first mistake was substituting polenta/grits for the cornmeal. It is more coarsely ground than cornmeal, and left the cornbread with a . . . gritty . . . texture. My second mistake was pouring the melted butter - still warm from being melted - into a bowl with eggs and milk. I know better . . . I really do . . . but that is what happens when you're in a hurry. In case you didn't take time to read the last two sentences, here is a summary: raw eggs + a hot ingredient = disgusting.

I also baked the cornbread in muffin pans instead of a 9x13, which I think is probably an acceptable switch (just reduce the baking time to 20-25 minutes). I also used canned jalapenos (I'm not sure if this is a good substitution or not, because I'm not a jalapeno person), and left off the topping of cheese and extra scallions (because at that point I didn't want to waste any more cheese on this project).

The moral of the story is this: follow the instructions, use the right ingredients, and take your time!I think this would be a great cornbread recipe if followed correctly (and for me, if the jalapenos are left out!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take your time - rushing is always my biggest downfall, too. Sigh.