Thursday, January 08, 2009

BB: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes


The first Barefoot Bloggers recipe of the year is Banana Sour Cream Pancakes, which was chosen by Karen of Something Sweet by Karen. Let me tell you, I was excited to have an "excuse" to make pancakes, and this recipe yielded some of the best pancakes I've ever had. The bananas in the batter make it good, but I think the lemon peel is what makes it great. You can barely detect the lemony flavor, but it really helps balance the flavors in the recipe.

I froze a couple leftover pancakes and used them for a quick workweek breakfast three days later. It worked out well, so I think I'll make a big batch this weekend and freeze them for a future quick breakfast fix. See what other bloggers thought of the recipe here.

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour (I used spelt)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (sea salt)
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk (possibly more if batter is too thick)
2 extra-large eggs (large eggs)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Unsalted butter (I used ghee)
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
Pure maple syrup

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.

7 comments:

Reeni said...

They look delicious! I love banana pancakes. I've never put sour cream in mine, I'll have to try these.

Anonymous said...

I've made these lots of times...they are so yummy! I've also tryed this recipe but with ricotta instead of sour cream...also good.

Aggie said...

Your pancakes look great! I doubled the recipe and froze some for the kids...they loved them!!

Anonymous said...

so good to know that they freeze well, i did throw out some batter when i made these the first time because i knew we could never eat that many with how thick they were. i'm glad you liked them. i agree, they are some of the best pancakes i've ever had.

Anonymous said...

They look great! I actually heated a couple up for lunch today... delish!
~Cat

Cynthia's Blog said...

These really are some of the best pancakes in the world!

Suzie said...

I wish I had thought to make some and freeze them. Such a great idea.