Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Quail in White Wine

Why is it so hard to get a decent picture of wild game? I'm sorry - I know this doesn't look especially appetizing. You'll have to just believe me when I say it tasted much better than it looks! I found this recipe last winter in The Silver Spoon . . . this recipe alone is worth the price of the book because it allows both of us to enjoy the quail Ken hunts. The recipe is very easy and the white wine, rosemary, and sage make the house smell fabulous! I served it with roasted asparagus and freezer biscuits. Here is the quail recipe:

Quail in White Wine

4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
8 tsp. fresh rosemary needles
8 fresh sage leaves
8 quail
2 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup white wine
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put half a garlic clove, 1 tsp. rosemary and a sage leaf in the cavity of each bird; season with salt and pepper. Put the quail in a pan with olive oil and cook, turning frequently, until browned all over. Season with salt, pour in wine, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Serves 4.

1 comment:

Cynthia's Blog said...

Sounds like you are doing fine with your own cookbook attrition. I have been a member of the cookbook club for so long, that I no longer have to remit the cards accepting or denying the monthly choice. If I had to do that monthly chore, I would have dropped out long ago.