Monday, January 26, 2009

Pecan Blondies


Last night I made dinner for my friend Amy, who is a few days away from the start of the annual convention she plans. From my own experience, I know that meals are sometimes low on the priority list in the days leading up to an annual convention. I made lasagna and got salad and bread to take with it - but I also wanted to include a dessert. I chose blondies for several reasons: 1) I had all the ingredients; 2) they were easy to prepare and quick to bake; and 3) I don't *love* blondies, so I knew I wouldn't eat too many!

For a non-blondie person, I was pretty pleased with the way this recipe turned out - I just wish I had added a bit more white chocolate (I adjusted the recipe below to reflect how much white chocolate I should have used). I also can't help but think about the blondie that used to be on the Applebee's menu - remember the one served with ice cream and that little cup of sweet, hot, buttery sauce? Mmmm . . . I should have tried to recreate that sauce. Or not!

Pecan Blondies
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
  1. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line with foil (leave overhang to lift bars out of pan) and spray again with nonstick spray.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together in a medium bowl until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Fold in dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate and nuts; turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing with a rubber spatula.
  4. Bake until the top is shiny, cracked, and feels firm to the touch - about 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Using foil as handles, remove bars from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 2x2-inch bars.

1 comment:

Heather said...

ohh, those sound good. i'm not a big blondie person, either, but i like that you added pecans. and that chocolate cake in the last post has my name allllllll over it.